Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Mad Hatter is Finally Done!






I finally finished the Mad Hatter. My main dilemma in finishing him seemed to be finding the perfect mount. I finally settled on an old vintage tin funnel that I covered in fabric.

I tried the flocking kit that I bought at the Gourdfest for the first time on the hat. When I purchased it, it was a bag of the fibers, a can of color matching adhesive and the tool to apply it. I asked the seller why there was no clear adhesive (thinking why can't you just paint your object the same color and use a clear adhesive). I was told they do make a 'low' grade clear which of course she didn't have offered but that it was not as good a quality as the colored stuff. Hmm, yeah. Talk about a scheme to make money - that stuff ain't cheap!

Having tried it, I found that a few marks were left on the top of the hat from my fingers after the drying/curing time. So I decided I would try some spray adhesive -the kind that stays tacky for five minutes so you can reposition whatever and used the tool to blow the fibers on that. Turned out to be an excellent touch-up solution : - )

I will list him for sale on eBay Sunday eve. Look for him there for more pictures!

3 comments:

Skellyton Art said...

Josie,

I love him!!! He certainly looks
MAD! Being Mad is SOooo Much fun!
Many Bids to you!
:)
Shirley (Skelly)

idrawpix said...

Josie, he is too funny, charming, and completely mad! Great sculpt as usual!

Skeleton In My Closet said...

Aw, thanx guys :-*