Saturday, August 1, 2009

Malice In Wonderland - Part 2

So...I've put (M)Alice aside for now as I am becoming quite frustrated with the wig. I tried my version of a friends suggestion of using alcohol ink. Even though it was thoroughly dry when I rinsed it most of it came out. I will either have to look for a similar doll that already has black hair so I can have her wig or sculpt her hair from Apoxie Sculpt which is probably what I'll end up doing.

I've started both a Cheshire Cat head and a Mad Hatter head both over pear gourds.

I really stinted on the addition of water to the Clay Shay mix and had absolutely no problems with the shrinkage that made it necessary to glue the features back on after they popped off after drying on previous pieces. I had read that for a clay like feel the ratio was 5:1 but who measures? I go by feel. I still went by feel but added the water in tiny increments after the first addition. I still think I prefer the Master Maché. I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy the big honkin' 25 lb box. That should hold me for awhile : D



The cat still needs ears and some cruel looking teeth yet. Mad needs a hat of course and a lower jaw and a spiffy bowtie. They will both be Make-do's I believe, as I have found some really cool wrought iron candle sticks that perfectly suit this theme. I really do like the cement-like texture of these powdered machés. I will probably only smooth on a skin of paperclay on their eyes and teeth. Undecided about adding it to the cat for fur. Something to mull over.

Oh yeah, I owe some pictures of the pond areas in summer. I'll save that be for the next post!

TTFN~

8 comments:

Lisa Lectura Creations said...

Hi Josie! I'm loving all your Malice in Wonderland WIP's! Can't wait to see them all done! I know they will be creepy cool! Have a great Sunday!

Hugs,
Lisa :)

Diane MacNaughtan said...

Josie,
Lovin' the Malice in Wonderland sculpts. I am sittin on pins -n- needles,and cant wait to see them finished. Your work is always unique and very cool.
Have a great weekend:)

~Diane

Sonia ;) said...

Josie....

They look amazing...cant wait to see them finished.

Smiles,
Sonia ;)

Tamara Dozier said...

These are fantastic. I love seeing your wips. I've been using paperclay and have never heard of Clay Shay. What is it exactly?

idrawpix said...

Josie, sorry the inks didn't work for (M)alice's hair. Why is it?...when you want something to rinse out it never does?
Loving these WIPs and, as always, loving your wonderfully unique sculpts!

Skeleton In My Closet said...

Thanks Gals : )

Tamara, Clay Shay is a product of Aves Studio. They make the Apoxie Sculpt products many artists use.

Clay Shay is one of 3 powdered machés they make. The other two are Master Maché and their regular Paper Maché. The regular stuff is the only one I haven't tried. They have a comparison chart on their site for the different powders that's very handy. I like working with these powdered machés almost as much as I like paperclay. Check them out at avesstudio.com.

LOL...isn't it the truth Karen. I had googled dye a synthetic wig and followed the formulas there of mixing the ink with alcohol. The other option was to hand color it with sharpie markers. Uh, I think I'd rather spend the time sculpting the hair. : O

MarZel said...

Your WIPs are incredible and I am sure you will find the right solution for the hairy problem!!! I cannot wait to see the finished product. Thankyou so much for sharing!!

Bone*Head*Studios said...

Josie what fabulous pieces!!!Thanks for the WIPs and for the AVES info!!1
blessings,Flora